Today was a snow day which means schools closed and I closed my private practice. These are the days that I could complain because of having to close up shop, but in mastering mindfulness I reframe and practice gratitide for being able to embrace a free day of cooking, cleaning, exercising, watching movies, and spending quality time with my family.
When it’s cold outside what is better than warm soups or hearty, healthy food? Nothing, duh. Yesterday was soup and today was all about stuffing! Anything stuffed is a go in my book. This wasn’t a vegan dish, but a great one for vegetarians who still enjoy good ol’ cheddar cheese.
Here goes to the recipe…
• 2-4 sweet potatoes
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tbs garlic, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or ground cayenne pepper
• 2-3 cups broccoli florets
• Pink Himalayan sea salt
• Ground black pepper
• 1 cup shredded or grated sharp cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place a cooling rack inside a baking sheet or just use a baking sheet. Place the potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet and pierce the potatoes all over about 10-15 times with a fork. Place into oven and bake until tender, about 45-50 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
2. Preheat oven to broil. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add broccoli and cook, stirring, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Split the sweet potatoes in half and spoon the broccoli mixture into the center. Top with 2-4 tablespoons cheese. Place into oven and broil until cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Wah-lah! Enjoy.