This week I made dessert two nights in a row! Let’s just say that is not my normal routine following dinner. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy a nice dessert when maybe at a restaurant for a special occasion, but I do not normally make or in this case bake desserts at home. My hubby and children have sweet tooths. I am not very big on sweets and treats. I actually do not even like cake, but will indulge in cheesecake and pie when the opportunity presents itself.
So your wondering how did I end up baking up skillet apple pie two nights in a row? Welp, as mentioned before my mother is a big food network DVR queen and she is an even bigger, “let me show you what I DVR’d” queen, lol. This time she definitely caught my attention!
I was blown away when I watched Trisha Yearwood show how to make a skillet pie with only a few ingredients and within a short prep (10 min) and cook time (30 min). When I think of baking I think of rolling the dough, patting, and pricking and so much more, but not with this recipe.
The original recipe is courtesy of Trisha Yearwood. I will note the adjustments I made and explain why.
9 in cast iron skillet | I used a 10 in that I purchased from Walmart for $15 bucks. I found that the 9 inch ends up seeming too small for the pie crust.
1 stick unsalted butter | 1/2 stick is what I used. When doing it with 1 stick it created too much butter that caused the brown sugar to raise up on the sides of the pie
1 cup light brown sugar | I used only 1/2 cup and it as sweet enough.
2 refrigerated rolled pie crusts, such as Pillsbury
One 21-ounce can apple pie filling | I have also made this with peach filling. You can choose any filling you like.
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in the cast iron skillet.
2. To the melted butter, add the brown sugar and melt them together on medium heat, about 2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and gently line the skillet with one of the pie crust. Note: make sure that you remove the pie crust from the fridge while prepping so it can easily unroll.
4. Pour in the apple filling and sprinkle with 1 tbs of ground cinnamon.
5. Use the second pie crust to cover the filling. Fold over the sides. Brush the pie crust with melted butter and sprinkle the other tbs of ground cinnamon on top. Cut vents in the middle of the pie.
6. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
7. Remove and wah-lah! Enjoy with a side of ice cream!
Also, Check out 4-Ingredients Pies to Enjoy All Summer !