Remember my post, Hail to the Kale!? Welp, I am still doing so. I use Kale in many different ways because of the it’s unsurpassed health benefits. It has now become our go to sidekick or side dish when we need to add greens to our entree. The great thing about it is that my 5 year old daughter loves Kale. Sometimes she just eats a bowl of Kale without any interest in the main entree. We all know it is hard to get kids to eat their veggies, so this is a lovely suprise to me.
I keep it fairly simple. Here’s what I do:
1 bundle of Kale, which is at Walmart for 99 cents a bundle and Kroger 99 cent a pound
1 tbs garlic
2 tbs low sodium soy sauce or any sauce of your choice (i.e., balsamic vinegar)
1 tbs lemon juice (This can further enhance its beneficial phytonutrient concentration)
2 tbs olive oil, 2 parts
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt or adobe all purpose seasoning.
- First, rinse the kale under cold running water. Then separate the leaves from the stems.
2. Add olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Massage Kale with your hands.
3. Heat olive oil in pan. Add garlic and allow to season oil for 1-2 minutes. Add Kale.
5. Allow to simmer while tossing continuously. Let cook down for about 1-2 minutes and remove from heat before wilting occurs! You want the Kale to still be crisp so it does not lose its nutritional value by being overcooked.
6. Add to any entree and enjoy!
Note: You can also do this same process but instead of adding to pan to cook you can steam cook by boiling water in a large pan and adding kale to a steamer basket for 5 minutes.
Check out the following links:
- 10 Proven Benefits of Kale (No. 1 is Very Impressive)
2 Comments Add yours
Never had kale before. Might try it given how cheap you said it was.
Yes! You must it’s the healthiest green to have and is easy to Cook. For just you eating one bundle is more than enough