When my friends and I get together its typically a night filled with chitter chatter, giggles, wine, and food! Instead of going out to restaurants we enjoy creating more of a “themed night” in which we decide what are the foodies of choice and what it might be inspired by. This particular night we decided it would be an Asian Inspired Ladies Night. Lets just say it was a lot of noshing We cooked up avocado egg rolls that I must say were better than those at Cheesecake factory, Crag Rangoon that was definitely healthier being baked, and a very simple way of crafting up some Shrimp Fried Rice.
Below are the recipes to share with you.
Avocado Egg Rolls
2-3 Avocados, halved, peeled and seeded
2 tbs cilantro, fresh leaves, chopped
1 clove, garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 roma tomato, diced
1 package of Egg Roll wrappers
vegetable oil, for deep frying
Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet or in a fryer over medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, mash avocados. Add tomato, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
- One at a time, place a spoonful of the avocado mixture in the center of each wrapper. Bring the bottom edge of the wrapper tightly over the filling, folding in the sides. Continue rolling until the top of the wrapper is reached. Follow directions on egg roll wrapper package. Use water to rub the edges of the wrapper, pressing to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and avocado mixture.
- In batches, add egg rolls to heated oil and fry until golden brown and crispy, about 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towl-lined plate to drain access oil.
- Serve immediately. We used Duck Sauce for dip.
1 8 oz Kraft Philadelphia Regular Cream Cheese block, at room temperature
2 oz crab meat (I do not recommend imitation crab meat)
1 small green onion
1/8 tsp worcestershire sauce
Dash of salt
1 package of wonton wrappers
Non-stick cooking spray
Foil for lining baking sheet
1. Combine the cream cheese, crab meat, green onion, Worcestershire sauce, and salt in a bowl. Stir to blend well.
2. Spoon about 1 tbs of the mixture and place in the center of the wonton wrapper.
3. Following instructions on wonton wrapper packager, dab water around the edges and fold the two ends of the wrapper together. Fold or the other two ends to make a tiny parcel. Pinch to seal tight.
4. Bake at 425 degrees for 8 minutes.
Shrimp Fried Rice (made simple)
1 lb of shrimp
2-3 cups Brown Rice, depends on serving size
1 bag of frozen corn, peas, and carrots
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 sweet vidalia onion, peeled, chopped
3 tbs soy sauce
salt, to taste
- Cook rice as instructed on package.
- Cook frozen corn, peas, and carrots.
- Cook shrimp with onions.
- Combine all ingredients together and add soy sauce.